Saturday 20 September 2008

Amsterdam




The wind had completely wiped out my legs. I finally got into town at about half one in the morning and couldn't find anywhere to eat or stay. Once again the friendlieness of the Dutch blew me away and John-Paul the owner of the De Herberg pub cooked me a meal, on the house, despite his kitchen being closed, as a donation to my trip. The De Herberg was a Cheers style pub where everyone knew everyone and I soon became the focus of much curiosity. John-Paul's friend Arnold who lived a few doors down offered to put me up in his flat so I was sorted. Arnold was a youth worker in Amsterdam, a totally solid, 24 carat bloke. Staying at Arnold's also entitled me to free pizza from the takeaway place he lived above as well! Pictured here is one of Arnolds 2 dogs, Spicy.
Amsterdam is a lovely City but far too crammed with tourists. I think its a place to visit in the off season. I spent hours in the Rietveld designed Van Gogh Museum which was great. Van Gogh is probably my favourite painter and it was fantastisch to see so much of his work. The word Genius is over used but Vincent was the real deal. I came away with a far greater understaning of his life aswell.
The greatest treasure I found in Amsterdam however was the Rijksmuseum. Most of the museum was under renovation so only the highlights were on show. The museum houses pottery, silverware, furniture and paintings from Holland's golden period in the 17th century. Equisitley inlaid cabinets, Rembrandts, Frans Haas, Titians, Delft pottery, Piet De Hooch, Rubens. An extraordinary collection. If you are ever in Amsterdam, go there.

No comments: