Friday 29 August 2008

Bremen-Cloppenburg-Meppen



Getting out of Bremen turned out to be as almost as hard as getting out of Hamburg. Once you get on to the red roads its very straight forward, 90% of them have cycle lanes, but these are often linked by Autobahn when they reach cities (no speed limit, very scary!). The whole thing is not well signposted for cyclists either.

Pictured here: The road outside Lastrup after I was completely soaked to the skin by a sudden thunderstorm. It was a warm day and I was cycling west in the late afternoon. The rain and sunlight were so intense I could see only a few metres in front of me. The experience was quite extraordinary. I was totally overwhelmed by water that was almost on fire with sunlight. It was as if someone had smashed me over the head with a giant liquid glitterball! I continued cycling and was dry within a few hours.
Late night lorry convoys coming over the border from Holland

No comments: