Friday 8 August 2008

Helsingor-Copenhagen





After a late crossing into Denmark from Helsinborg to Helsingor I made my way down the coast to Copenhagen.
Copenhagen is a city of bicycles and on entering the city I asked at some traffic lights if anyone knew how I could get to Christianshavn, the district of the town where I would be staying with some friends I had met at Ting. A really great guy called Jesper said he would show me the way but ended up giving me a tour of the city, taking me to Christianshavn and having dinner with me and a friend of mine from Norway, Daniel. Christianshavn (Christania) is unique. In the 1970's a group of Hippies moved into an abandoned military barracks on an island in the East bridge area of the city. The community grew, 900 people currently live there, unfettered by planning laws and property tax in a semi-autonomous state. The Danish Government eventually recognised the area as a social experiment although there have been moves by authorities recently to reclaim the area.
Pictured here is the spire of Vor Fresers Kirke, Our Saviours Church which stands at the entrance to the Christania enclave, a stunning building. My friend Sigve's house where I stayed. The entrance to a commune housed in a converted munitions battery. The bicycle entering the gatehouse was made in Christania and is typical of the bikes found here made by a local co-operative workshop. The bridge tower's were designed by Rudolph Gtlob and are good examples of early modernist Architecture (I was shown them years ago during a lecture on my BA). Here is also a small clip of Lek, a wonderful woman from Ting also staying at Sigve's and singing in Greenlandic.
Copenhagen is a very is a very interesting, pretty, madly expensive city. A blend of Scandinavian calmness and European bustle. I ate delicious vegitarian food and the best Curry Daal I have ever eaten there (Go to Tasty just outside Christania if you ever visit you can get a meal for the equivalent of two pounds eighty!). Also check out the bathhouse and Sauna in Chistania (make sure u by some Morrocan Rasul to smother over your body, it looks like mud but it's great).

No comments: